Estate Planning Intake Form

Once you fill out the intake form , we will contact you to book an appointment. Then, we will prepare your Legally binding Will and complete Estate Planning based on your request. We will review your Will package at the meeting with you, explain the different part of the package, take your instruction and answer your questions. *** If you and your spouse wish to have a Will, please submit a separate form.
If you have more than one children, please list them together
Your Personal Representative (PR) (also called an executor) is the person who will be responsible for the distribution of your estate. If you are married, we normally provide that your spouse is the first choice for Personal Representative. In case your spouse cannot act, or if you have no spouse, please provide the full name for an alternate Personal Representative(s) (you can have more than 1, but it is advisable to have no more than 2), their cities of residence, and their relation to you The PR is generally also the Trustee if any trusts that are established by your Will. It is prudent to appoint an alternative PR who will act if your first named Personal Representative cannot or will not act. For tax reasons, it is not advisable to choose a PR who resides outside of Canada. If you have more than one PR, it would be preferable if at least one of them is a resident of Alberta.
If you have adult children, our assumption is that you like them to received equal shares of the estate. In the event that your child predeceases you, what is your instruction of distribution of the gifts? If you don't have an adult child, please choice "Not Applicable".
While they are under 18, they are not allowed to take ownership of the gift. It is typical for wills to release the gift to them in stages after they reach 18. How would you like the gifts released to your children?
If you have minor children (or plan to have minor children in the future), you should appoint a guardian or guardians for them. The guardian(s) will be responsible for ensuring that your children are cared for in the event that you pass on before they turn 18. Our estate plans usually provide that your spouse (if applicable) will automatically be named guardian. Who would you like to be guardian(s) (you can name 2 people) in the event that you and your spouse(if applicable) pass on? You may wish to appoint alternative Guardian(s) if the primary Guardian is unable or unwilling to act as Guardian.
What is your relationship to the guardian(s) (for example, sister and brother-in-law, friends, etc.):
If you wish you could include these in your Will.
If you wish, you may detail how you would like your remains disposed of upon your passing. This is an instructive provision, meaning that it is meant to only inform your Personal Representative about what to do. It is not legally binding. You do not need to provide instructions. The typical instructions, if they are included, are that you wish to be buried with your partner, or you wish to be cremated .
An Enduring Power of Attorney (“EPA") allows you (the “Donor”) to give someone else (the “Attorney”) the right to act on your behalf, even if you become mentally incapable, to manage your financial affairs including paying your bills, depositing & investing money on your behalf, and even selling your house. If you are married or partnered, typically your spouse or partner is named as your first choice for Attorney.
A Personal Directive allows you (the “Maker”) to give someone else (the “Agent”) the legal rights to handle your non-financial affairs, such as health care, housing and medical treatment. It allows you to determine in advance who will make these decisions on your behalf if due to illness or injury, you ever lose the mental ability to make these decisions for yourself. If you are married or partnered, typically your spouse or partner is named as your first choice for Agent.